I proposed to bake brownies sometimes before and I have bookmarked few brownies with eggs. So I decided to bake Nita Mehta’s eggless chocolate brownies. I made few alterations to her recipe.
Here comes my version of brownies.
Maida - 1 1/4 cups
Cocoa - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup [ See notes below ]
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
Oil / Butter - 1/4 cup [ I used Oil ]
Water - 1 cup [ See notes below ]
Salt - 1/4 tsp
1. Boil water. To the hot boiling water add cocoa and stir well so that lumps are removed. Let it cool.
2. Sieve Maida, baking powder, baking soda and salt twice or thrice.
3. In a bowl beat sugar and oil well.
4. Add cocoa mixture and stir well.
5. Add vanilla essence and stir well.
6. Add 2 tbsp of flour at a time and mi well.
7. Stir in all the flour and fold in for 2 min well.
8. Grease a baking tray and bake at 180 C for 25 min.
9. Remove from the oven, cool and cut into squares.
10. If needed, dust with sugar or garnish with frosting.
1. I didn't have milk and curd at home to substitute for buttermilk. Hence I boiled water and stirred in cocoa in it. The cake was soft and delicious.
2. Recipe has only 3/4 cup of sugar. This sugar was little less. But if you want some sweeter just add 1/4 cup of sugar along with this one.