I got this recipe from Indusladies forum. I tried this recipe in my kitchen and it is a fool proof recipe for beginners.
Thanx Chitra for the wonderful quick tiffin.
Rava - 1 cup - preroasted & stored
Sour curds - 1 cup
Oil - 3 tbsp
Fruit salt - 1 tsp / cooking soda - 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves - few
Mustard - 1 tsp
Green chillies - 2 to 3 - chop fine
Hing - 1 tsp
1. Heat oil and temper the given ingredients.
2. Finally add rava and blend well.
3. Cool and add fruit salt, plain salt and coriander leaves.
4. Just 10 minutes before serving, keep the idli steamer on the stove.
5. Whisk the curds and add it to the rava and mix well.
6. Pour in idli plates greased with little oil and steam for 8 - 10 min.
7. If you add curds, dont keep it instead steam it immediately.
8. Can add grated carrots and coriander leaves on the top before steaming for colorful appearance.
9. Serve with coconut chutney(best combination).
I studied in a book that rava can be soaked in water for 1/2 hr and can be made idly like the same way. I tried that method. But it was not that soft as done soaking rava with curd.
So always use curd to make idly's.