This sambhar is very easy to prepare. People in kongunadu prepares this recipe when they want to make any urgent sambhar pat-a-pat as no veggies are needed. Also, kongunadu people use sambar onions and garlic as main ingredient in their dishes. Also they use mud pots in their cooking.
I too even cook in mud pots in gas stove as a part of healthier cooking.
Moong dhal/ Masoor dhal - 1 cup
Tomatoes - 3 to 4 - chop fine
Sambhar powder - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Small onions - 1/2 cup - chop
Red chillies - 3
Curry leaves - few
Garlic - 15 flakes - crush it coarsely
1. If using mud pots, Make water to boil and add washed moong dhal and cook in lower flame for 15 - 20 min or until cooked.
2. If using pressure cooker, Add moong dhal along with turmeric powder and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
3. Add chopped tomatoes, Sambhar powder, Salt and turmeric powder and cook for 5 min. Switch off the flame
4. Heat oil in a kadai and temper with the ingredients.
5. Add the cooked dhal and cook in low flame for 5 min.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves.
7. Goes well with rice, idli. dosa
a). Can add veggies like carrot, potato, drumstick, beans, avarakkai to this sambhar.