Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Harisseh/ Basbousa - Semolina Cake - New year 2011 special


Harisseh/Basbousa is a typical middle eastern dessert with main ingredient semolina. I had baked cakes with flour. But this is something different than all cakes. I got this recipe from my SIL who tried and showed me this recipe. It uses a sugar syrup for topping, unlike it’s a new way to me. Adding lemon juice gives a unique flavor to this recipe. Some recipes uses eggs when I browsed for this recipe in net. I omit eggs and sure it is healthy too.
The result is a moist, perfect cake. Sure instead of kesari, I can bake this in my kitchen regularly.

Superb and yummy cake without eggs.

Note: Use the same measuring cup for all the ingredients.

Ingredients:

Sooji/rava - 3 cups

Thick curd - 2 cups

Oil - 1/2 cup

Butter - 1/2 cup

Sugar - 3/4 cup ( Do not powder it its very important)

Maida - 3 tbsp

Baking powder - 1 tsp

Baking soda - 1 tsp

Almonds - few

For sugar syrup:

sugar - 3 cup

water - 1 1/2 cups

Lemon juice - 2 tsp

Method:
How to prepare sugar syrup:

1. Mix sugar and water in a vessel.

2. Allow this mixture to boil for few minutes.

3. Switch off the flame and add lemon juice.

How to bake semolina cake:

1. Mix all until sugar blends well with all.

2. Pour in a greased tin and make cuts. 

3. For each squares, you can place almonds on top.

4. Bake it at 180 deg C for 30-40 min and until golden brown.

5. Remove from the oven when it is golden brown in the top( I removed it before few minutes because of curiosity) and pour sugar syrup on the hot hot cake as soon as you remove from the oven.

6. Rest it for 1 - 2 hrs.

7. Cut and then serve. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...