Harisseh/Basbousa is a typical middle eastern dessert with main ingredient semolina. I had baked cakes with flour. But this is something different than all cakes. I got this recipe from my SIL who tried and showed me this recipe. It uses a sugar syrup for topping, unlike it’s a new way to me. Adding lemon juice gives a unique flavor to this recipe. Some recipes uses eggs when I browsed for this recipe in net. I omit eggs and sure it is healthy too.
The result is a moist, perfect cake. Sure instead of kesari, I can bake this in my kitchen regularly.
Superb and yummy cake without eggs.
Note: Use the same measuring cup for all the ingredients.
Sooji/rava - 3 cups
Oil - 1/2 cup
Butter - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup ( Do not powder it its very important)
Maida - 3 tbsp
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Baking soda - 1 tsp
Almonds - few
For sugar syrup:
sugar - 3 cup
Lemon juice - 2 tsp
How to prepare sugar syrup:
1. Mix sugar and water in a vessel.
2. Allow this mixture to boil for few minutes.
3. Switch off the flame and add lemon juice.
How to bake semolina cake:
1. Mix all until sugar blends well with all.
2. Pour in a greased tin and make cuts.
3. For each squares, you can place almonds on top.
4. Bake it at 180 deg C for 30-40 min and until golden brown.
5. Remove from the oven when it is golden brown in the top( I removed it before few minutes because of curiosity) and pour sugar syrup on the hot hot cake as soon as you remove from the oven.
6. Rest it for 1 - 2 hrs.
7. Cut and then serve.